Wednesday 3 July 2013

Peace

This is one of my 'new' roses for my garden. After staying in my comfort zone of Old English roses I decided to branch out and go for a few Hybrid Teas. I have never been a fan of Hybrid Teas as I really like to have a border bursting with colour and petals, which Floribundas provide me with amply. Hybrid Teas, whilst stunning in appearance, are much more of a lone ranger on the stem and their more architectural shape lacks blousy romance... this is of course my singular opinion.

So this year I decided to add a few more varieties to my collection. One of which was Peace.

This Hybrid Tea rose is probably the most famous breed to date. Often referred to as the 'Rose of the Century' this multi-award specimen has sold over a hundred million!

In 1935 Francis Meilland was the rose breeder who established this variety and its popularity was great around Europe and has been known by many different names in many different countries. ‘Madame Antoine Meilland’ in France, ’Gloria Dei’ in Germany and ‘Gioia’ in Italy. But this might never have happened! The our break of war in Europe and the invasion of France by Hilter's army threatened to destroy the rose nursery. Meilland took action and managed to smuggle out of the country 3 parcels containing budwood. One of which was sneaked onto a diplomatic plane, and the last one heading out of France. The rose was sent to fellow rose breeder Robert Pyle of Pennsylvania. It was not until after the war did Meilland hear of the fate of his rose from Pyle, it had survived! Not only that it had flourished. Meilland decided to change the name of his rose, from ‘Madame Antoine Meilland’ to 'Peace'. Its new name was publicly announced on the day that Berlin fell in 29th April 1945. In 1945 it was given as a gift to each of the delegates at the United Nations inaugural meeting.

Meilland later wrote:

“How strange to think that all these millions of rose bushes sprang from one tiny seed no bigger than the head of a pin, a seed which we might so easily have overlooked, or neglected in a moment of inattention.”
 
Peace is considered as a tall bush rose which can be grown as a shrub. It is extremely hardy and strong in growth and each stem carried a single bud. The buds are large in size and uncurl to show a huge bloom which is easily the span of my hand. The petals peal outwards to form a delicate rosette with the eye fully visible. The petals are a beautiful shade of lemon yellow with the outer ones tinged with pink tips. The sight of this rose makes you want to cup it in you hands and give it a hearty sniff! Its scent though it a lot lighter that you would expect. Despite this the scent is elegant and delicious.
This rose would make an excellent cutting in a vase mixed with pinks, purples and whites. I have created a new border for a cluster of five Peace bareroots so they look rather lonesome at the moment. I have to have a good think about what I am going to mix them with. Perhaps some Stock. They tend to be mixed with purples when I Google Search images but as I already have a forest of catmint shoved in every border I am a little bit reticent to put some more in. Catmint is an excellent accompaniment though.

I planted my bareroots in March as as we are only into the third day in July I think I will leave it until September to make a summary review for this roses' performance review. So far I am extremely impressed with its nature. I would highly recommend this rose in your garden as it is really low maintenance and pretty much does very well without any intervention... unlike some divas I have planted. So for now this entry is... TO BE CONTINUED!

No comments:

Post a Comment