Wednesday 25 July 2012

Iceberg


I bought this rose because my father has a fantastic one growing in his garden and
every time I popped round the thing was still covered in an abundance of flowers and it looked amazing. This is a very popular rose and I can understand why. The roses come in clusters between 5 and 10 heads so the effect can look very much like a bridal bouquet.


They are a brilliant white which looks amazing in the sunshine, they have an excellent amount of foliage and they are pretty reliable. Unfortunately, since 2012 has produced weather that would even shock Noah things have not worked out too well for my own batch. I planted five Icebergs in between my Gertrude Jekyll's back in march this year. The border is filled with bright pinks and purples so I wanted to inject some white into the mix. They were doing really well at first, loads of heads and an abundance of leaves. Since then though the rain has caused all of them to be infected with mildew (see first picture or this one).

because of this I have had to do some serious spraying and trimming. Its such a shame as it could have had a massive impact on my border. I will keep treating it and hope that next year I get a bit more lucky and a bit less rain.

This floribunda rose is medium in eventual height as it grows to about 80cm x 70cm. The roses is produces are on the smaller side in comparison to the others I grow in my garden and the scent is light and fresh. If it wasn't for the trouble I have had this year I would regard this rose as a good one for the newest of gardeners to start with. It likes a well drained sunny spot and it requires very little attention in general. This rose can also be bought as a short climber.

You can purchase this rose from most garden centres and online sites such as www.crocus.com
It will cost between £8 - £15.

REVIEW


  • Visual Impact - 4
  • Scent - 2
  • Growth Rate - 3
  • Stem Strength - 4
  • Durability (in poor weather) - 3
  • Resistance to Disease - 3

  • SUMMARY

    Overall I would definitely recommend this rose. It is very pretty and delicate looking. Despite the mildew this rose has stood up really well to the rain that we have had this year. None of the actual flowers were damaged by water so in that they are quite hardy. The Iceberg has a fantastic amount of foliage and it makes a great addition to any border. It is easy to look after, plant and prune. Although it doesn't make the impact a Braithewaite makes, it is great to add a touch of white to the border.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment